Kimera Espumoso Ancestrale, blanco (Pétillant naturel, ou Pét-Nat!)
100% Garnacha Blanca
- The sparkling white 2020 Kimera Espumoso Ancestral was produced by the ancestral method of finishing the fermentation in bottle. The wine has abundant frothy bubbles that are small and give it a nice silky texture. The nose is fruit-driven, floral and young, with freshness and a distinct bitter twist in the finish. It’s ripe at 14.5% alcohol and has high acidity that makes it balanced. It’s dry, with less than five grams of residual sugar. Twenty percent of the base wine matured in barrel to add complexity and volume to the palate. It was disgorged after nine months in bottle with the lees. 3,000 bottles produced.
90 pts — Luis Gutiérrez, The Wine Advocate (Nov. 2021)
- There are two sparkling wines, a rose and a white, of which I only tasted the white NV Kimera Espumoso Ancestral, part of the Kimera joint venture with his friend and winemaker Gonzalo Celayeta. Produced with grapes from the surroundings of the village of San Martín de Unx, 80% of the young Garnacha Blanca was unoaked and the other 20% aged in barrique for one year in an effort to add complexity and volume on the palate. They fermented it in stainless steel and put it in bottle when around 24 grams of sugar had not yet fermented, so it continued fermenting in bottle. It has a varietal nose with notes of waxy apples, hay and straw, with some yeasty notes. After 10 months in bottle, it was disgorged and refilled with the same wine, and the bottles have six to seven grams of residual sugar. It’s quite balanced, and the sugar feels integrated and counterbalanced by the acidity. It’s fresh and very pleasant to drink. They produced around 1,400 bottles [rosado and blanco combined], and the bottles are sold by both Luis Moya and Gonzalo Celayeta. Despite being grapes from Navarra, this is sold without appellation of origin. There’s no vintage date, but there is also no indication of disgorgement, blend or anything on the label, which will make it difficult to differentiate the different bottlings if they continue like this.
90 pts — Luis Gutiérrez, The Wine Advocate #248 (Apr. 2020)